Menu Filter

Ex communist headquarters A building strongly connected with the totalitarian regimes of the Hungarian history

Ex communist headquarters

Budapest, II. János Pál pápa tér 26, 1081


  • SPACE TYPE: Public institution's headquarters

  • PRESERVATION STATUS: Abandoned

Tags: Hungary, Totally Lost 2015

In the heart of Budapest lies this building, which is strongly connected with the totalitarian regimes of the Hungarian history.

In 1940 it became one of the headquarters of the Volksbund, which represented the Nazi Third Reich in Hungary. After the war, when the building was in ruins, the communists snatched it and made the present-day appearance of the house by re-building it in 1949.

During the Revolution of 1956 the crowd of the revolutionists mobbed it and  few months later it was renovated again. After 1989 the Socialist Party stayed in the building until 2007, since then it is abandoned.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestTumblrShare
CONTRIBUTOR: Balázs Gáspár