Menu Filter

Flak towers in Arenberg Park Massive croncrete towers in the heart of Wien

Flak towers in Arenberg Park

Arenbergpark, Wien, Austria
ARCHITECTS NAME: Friedrich Tamms

  • CONSTRUCTION YEAR: 1942


  • SPACE TYPE: Tower, Fortification

  • PRESERVATION STATUS: Under-used

Tags: Austria, military, Totally Lost 2015

Commissioned by Adolf Hitler, Flakturms are extremely large and colossal anti- aircraft gun blockhouse towers used by the German Luftwaffe for the defence against Allied air raids during World War II. They also served as air- raid shelters for tens of thousands of people and to coordinate air defence.

A four twin setup of 128 mm guns and another eight quad setup of 20 mm guns was amongst its standard configuration. Each tower was supported by a radar installation that had a retractable radar dish (in order to prevent damage during an air raid). With reinforced concrete walls up to 4 metres thick, flak towers were considered to be invulnerable to Allied bombings.

These giant towers were built in Berlin, Hamburg & Vienna. After WWII, the demolition of the towers was in most cases unfeasible and many remain to this day.

The one pictured here (G- tower) is used as storehouse by the Museum of Applied Arts- MAK, while the other one in the park (L- tower) remains empty.

More info on www.airpower.at (GERMAN)

Text by Reginal Van de Velde

Read also the submission about the other two towers in Augarten!

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestTumblrShare
CONTRIBUTOR: Reginald Van de Velde and Tanya Polovyna