Menu Filter

GSSD Vogelsang Secret city and nuclear weapons

GSSD Vogelsang

Zehdenick Vogelsang, Germany


  • SPACE TYPE: Barrack or base

  • PRESERVATION STATUS: Abandoned

Tags: base, Germany, military, Totally Lost 2015

On the way from Zehdenick to Templin you drive through a large forest area. Nothing suggests that, far to the left hidden in the woods, a secret city of the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany (GSSD) was located.

Here lived, according to current knowledge, up to 15,000 Russian soldiers and – if they were entitled to do so – their families. This made it one of the largest Russian real estate in the GDR. Unlike most other sites of the Russians, it was a complete new construction, which was built from captured German planes in World War II. This project was completely paid by the GDR , but built by the Soviet troops. The plant was completed in 1952.

It was protected by a high wall, wide areas before completely blocked off with barbed wire fences and guard. Near the railway there was the tank and logistics warehouse. Further west into the forest there were the nuclear missile bunker (rockets of the type R -5, later SS -12) and the missile base. These Rockets where aligned to England and France. Furthermore, there was an infantry ammunition depot north of the tank farm and another very large ammunition depot between Hammelspring and “Kannenberger Schleuse“. It is still clearly visible on satellite images, as it resembles the shape of a SIM card. This system also prevented access to “Kannenberger Schleuse“, which was in the absolute limits area. The actual garrison was between the lock and the village road Vogelsang. This in turn ensured that the former forestry house could no longer be used for civilian purposes (building and courtyard are now back in operation).

Various sources estimate of up to 19 units stationed here. According Military Research Office (MGFA, today ZMSBw) following Russian forces stayed here:

• Staff of the 25th Panzer Division
• 162 Armoured Regiment
• 1702nd anti-aircraft missile regiment
• 1158. Anti-aircraft missile regiment
• 152 Missile Brigade
• 25th Panzer Division
• 803 motorized rifle regiment
• 721 support message center ( bunker )
• Portable, atomic rockets technical basis; Field post number 55543
• Company “Chemical Defence”
• air defense
• Military Prosecutor

On the 15 square kilometers large areas were 300 combat and 200 armored personnel carriers.

There were separate schools, theaters and cinemas , shops , clubs officer , a tank simulator , a sewage treatment plant , a prison , swimming pool with sauna area and much more …

In the north of the plant is the Schorfheide, which served as a military training area . Still further north we find Lychen, where a large military hospital operated by the Soviets.

The Russian troops were withdrawn in 1994 from here, the buildings are abandoned.

In the context of so-called conversion measures not only the terrain is freed and renatured of hazardous contaminated sites. Rather, all buildings will be disrupted, eliminating important testimonies of the German and Russian history after the Second World War.

Text by Christian Hartmann

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestTumblrShare
CONTRIBUTOR: Christian Hartmann and Ria de Boer Leistra