Menu Filter

Pestujhely Military Hospital Memento of the Soviet occupation in the Budapest suburb of Pestujhely

Pestujhely Military Hospital

Rákos út 77/A, Budapest, Hungary
ARCHITECTS NAME: Tamas Tomay and Levente Varga

  • CONSTRUCTION YEAR: 1985


  • SPACE TYPE: Hospital

  • PRESERVATION STATUS: Abandoned

Tags: healthcare, hospital, Hungary, Totally Lost 2013, Totally Lost 2015

A deserted hospital in the Budapest suburb of Pestujhely. Built in 1985 and designed by Tamas Tomay and Levente Varga as the surgery division for the former Soviet Pestujhely Hospital, the buliding was used for barely eight years.

In 1993 the equipment was dismantled and it has stood empty ever since. The City of Budapest is the official owner. Nerby an ear, nose and throat clinic is still operating as North Pest Hospital, though most of the grounds – originally bulit by the Hungarian Railroad as a sanatorium, then used after 1945 by the Soviet Army – are not in use.

Hungary was left by the soviet army in 1991. For those born in the late 80s this is just another page in the history book. The mementos of the military occupation slowly loose their meanings, and what is left if this will happen? Only their colors and their forms.

Text by Peter Sarkozi

The hospital lies on 7 acres of land and was inaugurated in 1903- 1904. This building complex became the property of the Munkásbetegsegélyző, the Accident Insurance Fund and the National Fund in 1912. The new owners converted the 280-bed institution into a hospital specialized in the treatment of industrial workers. During the First World War, the hospital also assisted wounded soldiers.

Between 1920 and 1921 the hospital was extended, and the number of beds increased to 360. From 1928, it functioned as a hospital for respiratory diseases.

Another enlargement took place in 1985. If they had known that in 1991 the last Soviet soldier would leave the country, they obviously would not invest so much money in the complex. It was a really high standard hospital building, which has been completely taken over by decay since 1991, when the Soviet army moved out of the country.

The medical devices were deemed too expensive by the Hungarian state, so the Russians transported them to Russia between 1991 and 1993.

Text by Agnes Fechter

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestTumblrShare
CONTRIBUTOR: Agnes Fechter and Peter Sarkozi