Menu Filter

Vittorio Emanuele II Holiday Camp A permanent kindergarten for sun therapy

Vittorio Emanuele II Holiday Camp

Viale Tirreno 68, Pisa (PI)
ARCHITECTS NAME: Gino Steffanon

  • CONSTRUCTION YEAR: 1938


  • SPACE TYPE: Holiday camp

  • PRESERVATION STATUS: Under-used

Tags: colonia, healthcare, holiday camp, Italy, Totally Lost 2013

The complex, built at the initiative of the Anti- tuberculosis Provincial Consortium of Pisa as a permanent heliotherapy centre, was built between 1934 and 1938 to the project of the engineer Gino Steffanon.

The hostel has a singular planimetry of symbolic nature. From above, in fact, it can be seen to evoke the image of a child with arms outstretched toward the sky, an allusion to the logo of the campaign against tuberculosis conducted at the time. Read more here.

At present, the building is owned by the Tuscany Region, but it has been leased to the municipality of Pisa. During the past years, it hosted the Pisa ANPAS (National Association for Public Assistance), the primary school “Salvatore Quasimodo” and a gym. One wing of the building was used as a temporary accommodation for families in need, while some other parts of the building were unusable due to their bad conditions.

In 2008 the works for the refurbishment of the structure were started.

Source brunelleschi.imss.fi.it

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestTumblrShare